An open source framework, CodeIgniter has provided a very rich set of functionality, increasing the speed of website development for everyone associated with PHP web development; be it a PHP developer or a PHP development company.
Here is the architecture of Codeigniter.
A website built in CodeIgniter is highly secure along with the easy of development it provides during the product life-cycle. CodeIgniter has the ability to prevent various attacks online.
Let’s look at some of the features that makes CodeIgniter a preferable web development framework
- CodeIgniter is acutely lightweight
- It is based on Model-View-Controller (MVC) system
- Contains a Query Builder Database Support
- Form and Data Validation
- Security and XSS Filtering
- File Uploading Class, FTP Class, Localization, and Pagination
CodeIgniter has been built on the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development pattern. MVC is simply a software approach which separates application logic from the actual presentation. MVC helps the web pages to contain minimal scripting since the actual presentation is separate from the PHP scripting.
To err is human. Errors are a part of the development process. The skill lies in handling these errors. This is where CodeIgniter comes in. It provides a seamless error handling mechanism.
It displays the messages right during the development phase. One would like the messages to be displayed at the time when the application is being developed and not when the product has been deployed and ready to launch. In this way the rising error messages can be solved easily right at the developing stage.
You can also access error reports while resolving the errors. CodeIgniter renders instructions to error-logging class.
It also prevents SQL Injection attacks. Typically, SQL injection is an attack made on the database query. SQL injection attack in CodeIgniter can be prevented in the following ways:
- Query binding
- Active record class
- Escaping queries
Other prominent features of CodeIgniter includes:
- CodeIgniter has email sending class and supports attachments, HTML/Text email, sendmail, SMTP and more
- There is an Image Manipulation Library for cropping, resizing, rotating
- Data Encryption, Benchmarking, and Full-page Caching
- Application Profiling, Calendaring class, Zip encoding class, User agent class, Template engine class, Trackback class, and Unit testing class
- Search-engine Friendly URLs
- Flexible URI Routing
CodeIgniter has played an incremental role in web development over the last few years. Developers and companies unanimously agree on the pivotal role it has played in order to speed up the web development process. For secure web development, it is advisable to partner with a CodeIgniter development company and proceeds with the product life-cycle.